Thursday, May 27, 2010

From Ryan Holowach


May 24, 2010

As I enter my final week in Chongqing and I reflect on my experiences thus far, I can say I have come a long way since I got here in various activities like eating food and enjoying the culture. Since I have arrived I have tried various new things that I now look back on and could say I would never have imagined myself eating. So far I have tried exotic foods like pig stomach, ox stomach, duck intestines, and snake. All of these foods were presented to me at a traditional dinner in Chongqing known as “Hot Pot.” This is when there is a boiling pot in the center of the table and we cook the food that we want. This is where I was able to try new various foods and got to experience the spicy food that Sichuan Province is known for. Yesterday was a special Hot Pot because I got to meet my host family who were wonderful people and accommodating. We were able to relate with our similar home situations. This was very cool for me because I got to see what it was like to be in a Chinese family’s home and experienced their everyday activities. I got to talk to their eleven year-old son who reminded me a lot of my own brother. He is a boy who lives in a very different situation compared to my family, but in reality he is just a regular eleven year-old boy who loves sports. This trip so far has taught me a lot about China and the Chinese culture. As I embark on my last week in China I hope I can learn as much as possible before I have to go home.

The photo posted is of me with my host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment