Friday, May 28, 2010

From Christine Scanlon



May 27, 2010

As our time in China is coming to a close I cannot help but think about the amazing time I have had. Despite the initial struggles and challenges I have had an absolute blast and could not have asked for a better cultural experience. I had the chance to be completely submerged into a new culture, and experience different foods, customs, and ways of living. This trip has really made me think about and reflect on my own life at home. I feel as if I take a lot of stuff for granted at home but this trip has made me realize and hopefully change that. Being at English Corner one night and hearing some Chinese students tell me how they pick their major based on what their parents thought was shocking to me. I feel like they do not have the same opportunities I do in life. In my life as in most American students' lives we pick the major we want and our parents support that decision.

I tried thinking about my favorite part of the trip and have a very hard time coming up with one activity that I found to be my favorite. I thought the social work trip to the museum and “haunted” town was awesome. Despite getting lost it was amazing to see the mountain and farm landscapes. We had the chance to drive up and down mountains, which provided beautiful views. I will never forget this trip. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment