Thursday, May 27, 2010

From Heather Hepbron



May 24, 2010

Yesterday I hung out with my Chinese host family. I had a mom that worked as an English teacher at the university, and her husband teaches Physical Education, and spoke very little English. Their daughter is 12 years old, and for some reason she did not like speaking English, and was also very shy. After the opening ceremony, we went to a temple that was about a half hour away. There we met with the students from Thailand and their host families. We saw disabled artists who wrote calligraphy and made artwork with needles and thread.

The man who was making the calligraphy gave me a free script. The English translation says “good morale brings happiness to the world.” I think this is a very important message, because if someone can enter a bad situation with a positive attitude it can help make the situation better. I noticed that the Chinese have all had a pretty good outlook on life no matter what their situation is, and I think that is a big cultural difference from Americans. Being here has made me realize that Americans take a lot for granted and maybe we should work on teaching a more positive attitude for future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment