Monday, May 10, 2010

From Jessica Abraguin



A week has gone by and I feel as though I’ve been in China for a month. So much has happened that trying to look back on these past few days becomes difficult. Everything is so overwhelming it’s hard to grasp everything in detail. I’m a person who likes to feel every minute of every situation but so much goes on here that I feel out of my element. I’ve had a great time without question, but what sticks out most in my mind was my adventure in Beijing on my own. After the group and I visited Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, I saw a temple on a hill that seemed to have a great view of the Forbidden City so I decided to go. I had asked if anyone still had the energy and the legs to climb our way to the top, however no one wanted to go so I asked Paula if I could attempt going on my own. She gave me a map in Mandarin to find my way back to the hotel and I was off. Without question I was scared thinking if I would be able to find my way. I let the nerves drive me and even with all the pain and soreness in my legs from the previous activities, I managed to find my way to the top of the mountain where there was a beautiful temple with lots of flowers that overlooked the Forbidden City. The view was priceless and the feeling of accomplishment was amazing. But that was only the beginning, now I had to find my way back to the hotel. It took a lot longer than I would have expected. I wasn’t sure if I was going the same way, the names of the streets didn’t match the ones on the map, and the chaos with traffic, I almost got run over. My heart was beating a million miles an hour. Besides the “I’m lost” feeling, I was also starving and the time limit Paula had given me to get back was running close. To make it short, I did make it back, I ended up in a small grocery store, which is where I got my lunch, and I ended up getting back to the hotel before the entire group got back. My stomach was in knots the entire time, but I had the guts to take off on my own without knowing anything but “hello” and “goodbye” in Mandarin, and I found my way home. I set a goal and I succeeded, that feeling I will never forget. One adventure down with many more to come in the next 20 days, I can’t wait!

1 comment: