Thursday, May 21, 2009

Markevis Gideon: Skating in Chongqing


So a few days ago we all decided to spend a day out with a few of our Chinese counterparts, and it was great. Honestly, I went in thinking "I will be the best skater there," but I was so wrong. We were welcomed by several different teenagers and they showed us all types of tricks. Though the largest skate they had at the rink was pretty tight on my feet, I did participate in the festivities. It was definitely a different experience from a skating experience back in the States. The rink is a lot smaller, and there were pillars in the middle of the floor, but most importantly everyone seemed to like each other. I mean, back at home if you do not go skating with a group of people you have to be careful not to anger anyone else, because small altercations often result in a great deal of violence! But here there was no such thing! If you fall, which I did do four times, everyone quickly assists you in getting up and claps for joy to encourage you to not give up! Back home you have to hope not to be laughed at and told to go home. Another weird thing was holding hands with a complete stranger, regardless of gender! It was a bit uncomfortable when another Chinese male reached out to grab my hand as we rapidly raced backwards around the rink, it was so awesome! I wish you all could have seen it. It reminded me of, like, an old Grease movie where everyone is there to have fun and show off their talents! If you ever come to Chongqing, this is definitely a spot that must be on your agenda!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the posts you guys are writing. This description of the skating rink is great. The little differences in everyday life are part of my joy in traveling. I've only been as far as Europe. Thank you for sharing your trip with the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete