Monday, May 11, 2009

Beijing: By Tiffany Walker

Nihao

After five months of classes and twelve hours of travel time I finally end up in Beijing China. “Do they make chicken dumplings?” was the first question I asked Colette after we settled in our hotel and left to find a place that would feed a large group of people at such a late hour. The answer to my question was no, however, Colette ordered me a chicken dish that was surprisingly pleasing. (I tend to be a picky eater) Although the food was great, the setting was better. The aroma of white rice and spicy noodles mixed incredibly well with the humidity of the heat and wetness from the rain. The hustle and bustle and loud talking of the waiters, none of which I understood, combined with the show of decorative umbrellas and beautiful architecture lead to the realization that I was actually in Beijing, China. From then on I was ready to soak in every moment of this experience like a sponge. The next day we rose early, ate breakfast (it was a mix of Chinese and Western dishes) and headed to the Great Wall of China. Piaoliang, the mandarin word for beautiful is the only way to describe the site. It was simply amazing, the plains were so green and lush it almost looked animated. I was beyond excited about climbing the wall but Erin and I were somewhat apprehensive about the physical challenge. Allen, our tour guide directed us towards the appropriate route to walk. Tina, Erin, Paula, Kevis, Young and I did not listen and decided to take the less crowded route. (we learned the hard way why we were directed the other way). Climbing that wall was hard work, the steps were uneven and I felt like those hills were steeper than Kilimanjaro.  Paula was concerned that Erin and I were over exerting our selves and constantly reminded us that “there is no need to play hero”. Of course we ignored her concerns. I mean I did not come to the Great Wall not to make it to the top; or at least try. Erin and I made it to the top.  I can’t even explain how breathtakingly beautiful the view was. We were proud of ourselves and happy that we made it. That view was worth every wheeze, every bead of sweet, and the leg cramps I suffered the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment