Friday, May 15, 2009

Markevis Gideon: Planning beyond this trip




So it has now been about one week, and I love it here in Chongqing, China. I am kindly welcomed by all people, and the landscaping is extremely gorgeous! Initially, when we arrived in Beijing I must admit I was not that impressed. It appeared to be a big tourism spot. Though I was treated like a celebrity, you know the whole thing being one of the few African-Americans; I did not feel as if I was in China. However, the moment we began to enter in to the city of Chongqing I knew my expectations would be met. But not only were they met, they were surpassed. After only a few days I decided that, post my graduation, I will revisit Chongqing, but not only for a few weeks, but a few years (two to be exact). I intend on coming back to China and teaching an English class at the University, and hopefully if my Mandarin improves, I would love to obtain my Masters degree here and possibly open the only school to teach English established by a foreigner. I can not wait. This has been such an exciting experience; I would not change it for the world. I recall in my adolescent years discussing traveling abroad, but never did I think I would end up in China! Thanks to Widener, hopefully this program expands in the near future. I would love to see different students afforded the opportunity to study abroad here in Chongqing for possibly a semester or two! If I was presented the opportunity again, I know that I would be the first to seize it! I mean, there are some down falls,i.e. the food, the language barrier, and the fact that everything just takes so much time to get done; but at the end of the day it all comes together! There are great people here to assist in making the living arrangements more comfortable, and together we all make a great team. As they assist us throughout our day, we assist them by helping them better verbalize their words. And every now and then, who knows maybe you can get a large audience cheer for you as you teach them a western dance...yep the Electric Slide! That was also exciting! Well for now I think I am about to end, but do not worry I will write back to keep you updated with my life in Chongqing China!

No comments:

Post a Comment